Saturday, October 4, 2014

Sweating the Small Stuff

Shopping for a baby for the first time is very exciting but also daunting. I never thought those tiny things would cost so much! If I could walk around for more than 30 minutes without my pregnant hips hurting, I would have bought everything in Divisoria. I couldn't, so I settled for looking for the best deals in malls. 

Layette

I don't expect Baby to go out of the house much during his first months, so I bought the basic white cotton shirts and pants for him. Friends and family will probably give cute clothes as gifts anyway.

I bought most of Baby's clothes from BeBe by Soen. They are a bit cheaper than those by other brands carried by malls. Baby Armstrong is another brand that sells for reasonable prices. I am not sure if SM carries the brand but I bought some pieces in Robinsons. 

Tub

Some moms don't even use special tubs for bathing their babies. Some say the sink or any basin will do the job. I bought one because I didn't want to risk having to buy in a hurry after I give birth in case I need one. 

I bought the cheapest one with a drain at the bottom, made by Jolly, for P500 from Landmark Trinoma and Mimiflo Baby Bath Bed Net for P195  from lazada.com.ph


P695 for a tub and net may still be a bit much, but still cheaper than the ones from Mothercare and Safety 1st. 

Waterproof Mattress Protector

We plan to co-sleep with Baby, at least for the first weeks, after which he will be in his crib in his room. To protect our mattress, I wanted to buy a waterproof mattress protector.  The material is softer and cooler for the baby, compared to the plastic changing pads or protectors. Since buying one to cover our king size bed is not in my budget, I settled for a smaller piece, just big enough for the baby's part of the bed. I bought a 20 x 36 pillow protector from SM, for P350. I removed the stitches along the three sides to open it up, so I now have a 40 x 36 mattress protector that Baby can lie on on our bed. 


For his crib, I bought a waterproof multi purpose pad from SM for P400. It is SM's own brand, Bloom. The four sides can be secured to the crib mattress. 


Buying a matress protector for his crib and our bed is still in my wishlist though. 

Baby Wash

Human Heart Nature has always worked for me. 10 yrs ago, I developed an irritation from using feminine wash. I tried all the known brands but nothing worked. I saw this brand and bought its feminine wash from Rustan's. I was so relieved that it solved my problem immediately after the first use. The down side is that their products cost 15-30% more than similar products by popular brands. But I really believe in the brand, so I bought a small bottle of its Baby Wash for Baby to try when he gets here. 







No comments:

Post a Comment